The objectives of the Convocation shall be as follows:
- To meet and discuss any matter within the sphere of competence of the University and the advancement of Higher Education in the country as a whole.
- To promote close relationship and cooperation between RUCU and its graduates, with a view of getting feedback and views from them.
- To promote and maintain contacts and cooperation between the Convocation members, academic communities and any external body, including national and overseas educational institutions as well as other associations of like nature.
- To publish the Convocation newsletter and other relevant material.
- To organize and conduct public lectures.
- To raise, borrow and invest any monies of the Convocation, not immediately required for implementation of any of its objects, in such a manner as the Convocation may from time to time, find fit.
- To establish and manage G.M Endowment Fund.
- To award prizes to RUCU graduates who have distinguished themselves through their achievements in life after graduation, and to the best graduates in academic performance from each Faculty in each academic year.
- To offer scholarships to deserving candidates.
The members of the Convocation shall be as follows:
- The Principal of RUCU
- The Deputy Principal Academic
- The Deputy Principal Finance and Administration, who shall be the Secretary of the Convocation
- All members of the academic staff
- All persons who are graduates of the University, provided that such graduate is ordinarily resident of the United Republic of Tanzania.
- Such other persons as the Chancellor may appoint as members of the Convocation.
a) General Meetings:
There shall be a General Meeting of the Convocation before each Graduation Ceremony.
b) Executive Committee Meetings
These shall be held at least four times a year. Extraordinary meetings may be held in special circumstances at such frequency as the circumstances may dictate.
c) Conduct of Meetings
- Where, at any meeting of the Convocation, the President of the Convocation is absent members may elect from amongst those present a temporary Chairman to preside over the Convocation meeting.
- Fifteen members shall constitute a quorum for the Convocation meeting.
- The quorum for Convocation committees shall be one third of the members of the committee.
- A decision shall be made by a simple majority vote of the members present and voting at the meeting of the Convocation or at any of the meetings of any of the Convocation committees.
- In the event of an equality of votes, the President of the Convocation or the temporary Chairperson, as the case may be, presiding over the Convocation meeting, or the chairperson of any of the committees of the Convocation , shall have a casting vote in addition to his/her deliberative vote.
- No proceedings of the Convocation shall be rendered invalid by reason only of any defect in the membership of any member of the Convocation.